Tuesday, November 15, 2011

DEAN 2

It only took one week of living in Germany before I found myself asking my boyfriend questions like, "So, is there ANY way you could you ever see yourself living in Europe?" 

I LOVE it here. I love the sound the car tires make as they rumble over the cobblestone roads, and the fact that even my walk home through the downtown area is stunningly picturesque. I love that in European kitchens, while riffling through the cupboards looking for plates you can go, "Oops, that's a refrigerator," and I love that until now I thought we had public transit in Canada. We don't: in comparison to Germany we have something akin to Star Trek's annual medical checkups to remote and desolate research colonies. I'm also a huge fan of how cheap cheese is, because let's face it folks- cheese is a little slice of bacteria-metabolized heaven <3. 

My work in the medical lab is really interesting. I'm helping develop new tests that will determine vitamin B12 and vitamin D deficiencies using tandem liquid chromatography and mass spectrometry. The extra fun part is that my bosses have decided to send me to Munchen for 3 days to get private training on the machinery I need to use!!!!!! Apparently they REALLY don't want me to break it!!!! I am so excited!!! (pictures to follow)

Stay tuned for my upcoming lists of hilarious-for-people-who-aren't-me language mistakes! Apparently "Aufzug" is not a random piece of lab equipment....


7 comments:

  1. Eee. This sounds so exciting. I'm glad you're enjoying it. Also, Star Trek FTW. You are badass.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the fact that you have this up here... Now it will be like following you through all of your adventures... Can't wait to see pictures!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you on the cheese front and as for the merits of cobblestone roads.... no potholes. Glad you're having a fantabulous time! Take good care and easy on the Weisswurst in Muenchen.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the look of the blog Danielle! Hope you have a wonderful time in Munchen. Can't wait to read more about your time away from home. <3 ya

    ReplyDelete
  5. Star Trek! I was ridiculously excited when I read that. Maybe public transport is more similar in Vancouver? It's great that you get to travel to other cities for work.
    It sounds like you're having a great time. I look forward to updates.
    Also, I'm probably horribly wrong, but aufzug = elevator/lift thing? auf = up zug = pull Maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't wait to read about the language gafs. Ah, cheese, food of the German gods...keep it coming!

    And a VERY HAPPY BIRTHDAY TODAY TO YOU BEAUTIFUL GIRL!!!! XOXOXO

    ReplyDelete